Monday, April 26, 2010

Diigo and Social Bookmarking

For the past month or so, I have been using both Diigo and Delicious to see which Social Bookmarking site I like best. I have also been learning about Social Bookmarking at sites like Common Craft's in Plain English--Social Bookmarking Explained.

I have found Diigo to be more useful to me as a librarian for the following features:
  • Groups: You can create them and join them. They are a great way to crowd-source creating lists of useful bookmarks on a specific topic. With the free educator version, you can also create private groups for your students to use as they gather research on a specific topic. Examples of groups: Diigo in Education, and Teacher-Librarians.
  • Lists: This makes it really easy to share a group of bookmarks with someone else. Some groups I have created are Library 2.0, Math, and Shakespeare.
  • Updates: If you are part of a group, you can subscribe to the group's daily update feed to see what other's in your field or interest area are recommending. Here is an example of a daily post from the Teacher Librarian List: 1 new Item See More »

No comments: